FREE IRS Report on Solving Tax Problems

Send Me the FREE Report
Stambaugh Law Offices

Lancaster, PA 717-390-0390

Toll Free 877-562-5912

Accounting ServicesBusinessEmploymentEstate PlanningFinancial PlanningProperty TaxTax PlanningTax PreparationTax ResolutionUncategorizedWise Living

Beware the Taxes of Self-Employment

You can be self-employed as a sole proprietor/an independent contractor, or a member of a partnership or of a limited liability company. As such, you need to file an annual income tax return and pay estimated taxes throughout the year on your income. Also, you may have to remit self-employment (SE) tax payments as well with your estimated income tax payments. The SE tax is a Social Security and Medicare tax — being self-employed, you have to pay both the employer and employee portions.

The self-employment tax is 15.3 percent of your net earnings. As an employee, you and your employer split the burden, each paying half. Small business owners often pay much more in Self-Employment tax than they do income tax.

To offset your annual income and self-employment tax liability, you may be required to make quarterly estimated tax payments to cover the anticipated self-employment and income tax liability. Typically, the quarterly payments are due April 15, July 15, Sept. 15 and Jan. 15. Quarterly estimated tax payments can be made using Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals. The taxpayer may elect to pay electronically through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System. If this is your first year being self-employed, you will need to estimate the amount of income you expect to earn for the year.

If your net earnings from self-employment exceed $400 or more, you will be required to file a personal income tax return with a calculation for your self-employment taxes on Schedule SE. Net earnings are generally calculated by starting with gross income from the business and subtracting deductions and depreciation allowances.

Generally, you’ll have to file a Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ to report your income or loss from a business you operated or a profession you practiced as a sole proprietor. If your expenses add up to $5,000 or less, you can file Schedule C-EZ instead of Schedule C.

You may operate as a married couples business — a qualified joint venture — and though you file a joint return, you can elect not to be treated as a partnership for federal tax purposes. You each can calculate your self-employment taxes separately, as well as account for your respective share on Schedule C. There may or may not be advantages to doing this, so again, consult with a professional before making a decision.

< Back to previous page Business >